Friends of Deepalaya, UK
Friends of Deepalaya is a registered charity with the United Kingdom HM Revenue and Customs. The initiative was started in 2002 by Mr. Chris Tuppen with the help of Rtn. T.K. Mathew (CEO, Deepalaya). The objective is to further the work of Deepalaya (a registered Indian charity) in advancing education and relieving poverty, sickness and distress of the children in India by improving their condition of life.
The seed for this wonderful enterprise was planted when Mr. Chris Tuppen visited a corporate social responsibility (CSR) seminar in Agra in 1999. While he enjoyed the time there, he wanted to see social work in action. When his friend and colleague told him about Deepalaya, an NGO working with slum children in Delhi, he grew further interested. So in the following days he visited the Deepalaya School in Sanjay Colony and left for Europe with a lasting impression about what he had seen. After a doing a series of fund raising activities in the U.K., followed by a donation of 4000 Pounds to Deepalaya School Kalkaji Extention, Mr. Tuppen expressed willingness to take his relationship with Deepalaya to the next level, thus, Friends of Deepalaya was born.
Supporters of Deepalaya in the U.K. can use this avenue to lend financial aid to thousands of underprivileged children in India, while taking advantage of the tax-exemption facilities for their donations. The financial aid is then re-distributed to whichever project is facing a deficit.
The projects run under the purview of Deepalaya are –
- Several formal and non-formal schools in Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand that provide education to children belonging to vulnerable categories and from underprivileged backgrounds
- Vocational training centres that impart employable skills to adults and children alike
- A Special Unit that caters to differently-abled children and seeks to help rise above their physical and mental limitations
- Institutional Care Centre in Gusbethi, Haryana that provides shelter, education and healthcare to the street children, run-away children, children of sex workers and children from abusive families
- A Gender Resource Centre that conducts community awareness campaigns and vocational training to promote gender equality among men and women.
- An umbrella Health project under which are run several health awareness campaigns and a general hospital in Gusbethi.
Please bear in mind that the members of Friends of Deepalaya, UK are not full time employees of Deepalaya. Therefore, please direct all general inquiries to the Deepalaya Office in New Delhi, India.
Donations can be accepted at BtMyDonate and details can be found at https://mydonate.bt.com/charities/thefriendsofdeepalaya
Payments can be made direct to bankers of The Friends of Deepalaya at;
CAF Bank Ltd
25 Kings Hill Avenue
Kent ME19 4JQ
Sort code: 40 52 40
Account number: 00087138
Account name: The Friends of Deepalaya
Friends of Deepalaya, UK
Colchester, Co7 6SD
Chairman: Dr. Christopher G Tuppen
Treasurer: Mrs Deborah Tuppen
Trustee: Dr. Nicholas Banatvala
Trustee: Mrs Beryl Chalmers
Telephone: +44 1206 298675
46, Institutional Area
India - 110058.
Email: email@example.com Website:www.deepalaya.org